|Medical Office Assistant
|Medical Office Assistant
|$15 - 17.00 hourly
|Terms of Employment:
Our Health Center is looking for an enthusiastic, customer service oriented medical office assistant to join our team! Responsibilities include greeting and checking-in patients for appointments, scheduling appointments, answering phones, as well as administrative duties involved with keeping the providers schedules up to date and accurate. The position works in collaboration with the staff providing a high level of patient service and satisfaction while operating in a team-based environment. Commitment to a flexible work schedule which may include some evening hours through the academic year and possible weekend hours.
Candidate must possess strong attention to detail, verbal communication, reasoning, and critical thinking abilities. Must be able to work on and prioritize tasks simultaneously while responding in a compassionate, calm manner to meet the needs of patients, co-workers, and others.
A. Medical Reception and Appointment Scheduling: (75%)
- Schedule patients per set scheduling guidelines to ensure optimal patient care.
- Check-in patients and interpret Student Health Center policies for students, faculty, staff, and visitors regarding fees, no shows, check-in times, etc.
- Ensure patient information is complete and accurate.
- Respond to general inquiries regarding services, hours, patient care, and patient billing.
- Instruct patients on how to complete electronic patient forms via the web portal.
- Complete opening and closing procedures for the front office.
- Determine eligibility for service, obtain and verify identity, FPOS status and other pertinent records utilizing EMR and explain payment options to patients.
- Monitor reception and patient waiting area to assess the safety of patients and maintain an appropriate atmosphere.
- Answer telephones and assist walk-in patients requesting care. Notify health care professionals of possible emergencies on telephone or in waiting room.
- Respond quickly and appropriately to emergency situations and participate in scheduled drills according to established policies and procedures.
- Provide work direction to other employees as front desk coverage is needed.
- Maintain confidentiality and HIPAA compliance for all health records and related correspondence and/or communication. Monitor state and federal mandates regarding medical record confidentiality, reporting requirements and procedures for release of information and revise operational standards as needed.
B. Financial Recordkeeping Duties: (15%)
- Working knowledge of the electronic medical record (EMR) to perform billing and cashiering for patients.
- Invoice charges on patient visit encounters within the EMR Billing Workplace and respond to questions regarding patient accounts.
- Create group appointments and bursar charges for special events such as flu clinics or sports physicals, etc.
- Assist with WI Medicaid Family Planning Only Services (FPOS) including student application process, billing, and reimbursement. Submits and verifies the accuracy of these claims.
- Reconcile payment methods with EMR reports. Processes daily payments, corrects billing, and errors as needed.
C. Miscellaneous Duties (10%)
- Perform other clerical duties as requested.
- Report adverse incidents.
- Serve on Student Health Center Committees as assigned.
- Support the Division of Student Affairs Strategic Priorities, mission of the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, and Student Health departmental core competencies.
- Actively engage and participate in student programming, campus events and inclusive excellence goals.
- Attend meetings, in-services, and other continuing education classes.
- Willingness to represent Student Health at campus sponsored events during regularly scheduled hours, which may include brief presentations and/or public speaking.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills as well as verbal and written communication abilities with careful attention to detail and accuracy.
- Possess strong attention to detail, reasoning, and critical thinking abilities.
- Demonstrate ability to work on and prioritize tasks simultaneously while responding in a compassionate, calm manner to meet the needs of patients, co-workers, and others.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Current CPR certification or the ability to obtain within one (1) month of hire.
- At least one (1) year experience in customer service and/or clerical responsibilities, including answering phones and assisting patients.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, administrative rules and regulations concerning the confidentiality of health care information, and medical ethics.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, internet, electronic mail, and electronic medical record (EMR) software.
- Experience with billing, financial account reconciliation, and insurance processes.
Applicants must submit the following documents using the online application:
Resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references.
For questions regarding your application and additional options to apply, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 920-424-1166.
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION: Applications received by February 12, 2024 are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. Application materials will be evaluated and the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process. Incomplete and/or late application materials may not receive consideration.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact the Office of Human Resources.
The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh (UWO) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. We strongly encourage women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans to apply. UWO, in compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
Diversity drives innovation, creativity, and progress. At the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, the culture, identities, life experiences, unique abilities, and talents of every individual contribute to the foundation of our success. Creating and maintaining an inclusive and equitable environment is of paramount importance to us. This pursuit prepares all of us to be global citizens who will contribute to the betterment of the world. We are committed to a university culture that provides everyone with the opportunity to thrive.
UWO provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual with a disability. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact email@example.com or 920-424-1166. This job announcement and other material on this site will be made available in alternate formats upon request to an individual with a disability.
Confidentiality of Applicant Materials
UWO is a State agency and subject to Wisconsin's Open Records Law. UWO will not, however, reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing except as may be required by Wisconsin's Open Records law. In certain circumstances, the identities of "final candidates" and/or the identity of the appointed applicant must be revealed upon request.
CBC & Reference Check Policy
All candidates for employment are subject to a pre-employment screening which includes a criminal background check, work authorization, and verification of education. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term.
Annual Security and Fire Safety Report (Clery Act)
For the UWO Annual Security and Fire Safety Reports (i.e., Clery Report), which includes statistics about reported crimes and information about campus security policies, see https://uwosh.edu/police/, or call UWO Police Department, at (920) 424-1212 for a paper copy.