||Auto Mechanic (2 positions)
|Terms of Employment:
This position will perform skilled automotive, light truck and heavy duty trucks (1 ton pickups, 4 ton trucks and 6 ton dump truck), large front end loader, and equipment repairs on campus vehicles and equipment. The person in this position must be able to diagnose, trouble shoot, and make repairs to external parts and accessories, engines, both gasoline and diesel; manual and automatic transmissions and drivelines, including transfer cases and front and rear differentials; and hydraulic systems. This position may require ability to weld and perform general fabrication in the repair of equipment.
This position will diagnose, repair and overhaul small engine powered equipment including but not limited to lawn mowers, garden tractors, outboard motors, chainsaws, pumps and emergency generators.
This position must be able to work independently and also function as a Facilities team member. Computer skills and record keeping are necessary along with ability to maintain inventory, work orders and other records. This position is also an active member of the snow removal team for the Campus in which overtime will be required. Normal work hours are 6 am to 2:30 pm, but must be available for after hour events and call-ins.
50% Maintenance and Repair of University Vehicles and Equipment
- Diagnose and repair electronic and electrical problems.
- Diagnose and repairs of brake systems.
- Maintenance of gasoline and diesel powered engines.
- Diagnose and repair of suspension systems.
- Diagnose and repair of cooling systems.
- Diagnose and repair of various transmission systems.
- Diagnose and repair of engine issues.
- Diagnose and repair of steering systems.
- Diagnose and repair of hydraulic systems.
- Diagnose and repair of fuel systems.
- Perform minor body repairs.
- Perform and schedule general maintenance and safety inspections.
20% Maintenance and Repair of Small Engine Powered Equipment
- Diagnose and repair of 2 and 4 cycle engines.
- Diagnose and repair of hydrostatic and gear drives.
- Diagnose and repair of belt driven equipment.
- Diagnose and repair of hydraulic equipment.
- Weld and fabricate parts as needed.
- Sharpen mower and chainsaw blades.
- Perform and schedule general maintenance.
5% Maintenance and Repair of Emergency Generators
- General maintenance of Diesel and Natural Gas Engines.
- Diagnose and repair of Diesel and Natural Gas Engines.
15% Back up to Grounds Department
- Operate snow and ice control equipment.
- Assist the tree pruner in removal of trees on campus.
- Assist Supervisor in creating specs for new vehicle purchases.
- Assist Grounds Department in maintenance on campus.
10% Other assigned duties
- Maintain parts and supply inventory for Auto Shop.
- Maintain accurate records for equipment and vehicles.
- Fill out completed work orders per required.
- Maintain Auto Shop and Welding area in orderly fashion.
- Perform various welding as required.
- Assist other Departments as needed.
- Minimum of high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must hold and maintain a valid driver’s license and be authorized via Risk Management to drive a University vehicle upon appointment.
- Ability to grasp, lift and or carry tools, equipment or supplies, up to 50 pounds on a regular basis.
- Physically be able to work in various positions, i.e. with arms above your head for periods of time; bending, twisting, crawling, squatting, climbing, stooping or kneeling.
- Ability to wear protective equipment, i.e. respirator, hearing and eye protection, welding helmet, etc.
- Analytical skills necessary to diagnose and correct the cause of both common and infrequent failures in equipment and systems
- Knowledge of essential job functions and ability to safely perform the duties with minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform duties within extreme temperature ranges, dusty and dirty environments to complete job assignments.
- Ability to read, interpret and disseminate information contained in technical manuals, repair bulletins, schematics, specifications and related instructional materials.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, schedule and expedite work request.
- Must be well organized in relation to work orders, tools, equipment, materials, and general organization of the Auto Shop.
- Maintain a professional and service orientated relationship with customers and co-workers; present a neat, clean appearance at all times.
- Must possess a positive attitude and treat others in a professional and courteous fashion.
- Vocational degree and or certification in automotive repair.
- Prior experience as an automotive/service technician.
- Thorough knowledge of the occupational hazard and safety requirements in the automotive industry.
- Knowledge of preventative maintenance programs and the ability to develop and implement an effective program.
- Basic data entry skills to record and print work orders in the computerized maintenance management system; Ability to work with computers to record data, and communicate using email.
- Effective interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to maneuver / drive a variety of vehicles for the purpose of snow plowing sidewalks and parking lots.
- Knowledge of safe chain saw operation and tree trimming practices or willingness to attend classes or seminars on the topics.
Applicants must submit the following documents using the online application:
Resume and contact information for 3 professional references
UWO is committed to building a culturally diverse employee workforce and strongly encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
For questions regarding your application and additional options to apply, contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 920-424-1166.
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION: Applications received by November 20, 2018 are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. Application materials will be evaluated and the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process. Incomplete and/or late application materials may not receive consideration.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact the Office of Human Resources.