45% Maintenance of Landscaped and Athletic Areas
1) Mow, trim, rake, aerate and irrigate lawn areas.
2) Plant and maintain (water, fertilize, weed) woody plant material.
3) Plant and maintain (water, fertilize, weed,) herbaceous planting beds;
4) Dead-head, thin, divide and transplant herbaceous plants.
5) Seed, sod and general maintenance of lawn areas.
6) Prune and or remove small trees (under 15’), shrubs, hedges, ground cover and vines
7) Apply fertilizers to all types of plant material to promote healthy growth.
8) Maintain, operate and repair under and above-ground irrigation systems; determine and set start and stop times; make spray head adjustments and patterns.
25% Operation and Maintenance of Grounds Equipment
1) Operate machinery and equipment used by the Grounds Department: (e.g. commercial riding and walk-behind lawn mowers, tractors, front-end loaders, bucket truck, forklift, over-seeder, aerator, auger and back-hoe, dump trucks, 4-wheel drive trucks and trailers).
2) Operate special motorized equipment: brush grinders, chainsaws, stump grinder; other small power equipment (e.g. blowers, hedge trimmers, auger).
3) Perform preventative maintenance procedures - inspect, clean, grease, change oil and perform minor maintenance adjustments and replacements on vehicles and equipment.
20% Snow and Ice Control
1) Operate equipment, (e.g. front-end loaders, 4-wheel drive trucks, tractors, blowers, rotary brooms and salt/sand spreaders) to plow or remove snow and ice.
2) Hand shovel or scrape snow and ice; apply snow / ice melting chemicals.
3) Haul accumulated snow with dump truck and front end loader.
10% Miscellaneous Tasks
1) Pick up litter and debris from campus grounds.
2) Clean and perform minor repairs on roads, lots, sidewalks / walkways and walls.
3) Install and repair waste containers, ash urns, bike racks, signs, posts, fencing and barricades.
4) Assist other staff in demolition and construction projects.
5) Assist other Facilities Management departments with maintenance projects during inclement weather.
6) Clean and organize grounds shop and storage area as directed.
7) Attend training sessions, field days and seminars related to ornamental horticulture and turf maintenance.
8) Perform other duties as assigned.