||Medical Program Assistant
||Medical Program Assistant - Associate
|Terms of Employment:
The person in this position serves as a key support for the health care team and works in collaboration with the staff providing administrative/clerical duties. Must commit to a flexible work schedule which will include some evening hours through the academic year and possible weekend hours.
Candidate should possess strong attention to detail and high language, reasoning, and critical thinking abilities. Independent decision making abilities are required to identify problems and implement solutions with limited supervision. Must be able to exercise sound judgement and discretion in a variety of complex situations, function well in a fast-paced environment, and be able to work on and prioritize many tasks simultaneously while responding in a compassionate, calm manner to meet the needs of patients, co-workers, and others.
After training, proficiency is required with PeopleSoft Student Information System, PyraMed Electronic Medical Record (EMR) software, HIPPA and privacy regulations, and the Family Planning Only Services (FPOS).
- Medical Reception and Appointment Scheduling: (65%)
- Schedules patients per set scheduling guidelines to ensure optimal patient care
- Checks in patients and interprets SHC policies for students, faculty, staff, and visitors regarding fees, no shows, check-in times, etc.
- Responds to general inquiries regarding services, hours, patient care, and patient billing.
- Instructs patients on how to complete electronic patient forms via web portal.
- Completes opening and closing procedures for the front office.
- Determines eligibility for service, obtains and verifies identity, FPOS status and other pertinent records utilizing EMR and explains payment options to patients.
- Monitors reception and patient waiting area to assess the safety of patients and maintain an appropriate atmosphere.
- Answers telephones and assists walk-in patients requesting care. Assesses the nature and urgency of the patient’s medical need and notifies health care professionals of possible emergencies on telephone or in waiting room.
- Responds quickly and appropriately to emergency situations and participates in scheduled drills according to established policies and procedures.
- Provide work direction to other employees as front desk coverage is needed.
- Medical Record Duties (20%)
- Maintain confidentiality and HIPAA compliance for all health records and related correspondence and/or communication. Monitors state and federal mandates regarding medical record confidentiality, reporting requirements and procedures for release of information and revises operational standards as needed.
- Follow statutory guidelines and other regulations to independently evaluate and respond appropriately to requests from individuals, families, legal representatives, insurance companies, healthcare providers or government agencies for the release of patient health information.
- Manually checks enrollment in Student Information System if not automatically populated in the EMR.
- Collaborate with EMR vendor as needed.
- Labels Patient Alerts in the EMR as individual circumstances require.
- Provides training and direction to health care staff regarding confidentiality requirements.
- Insurance Coding, Billing & Financial Recordkeeping Duties: (10%)
- Working knowledge of the EMR to perform billing and cashiering for patients.
- Knowledge of or willingness to be trained in medical coding. Perform biannual audits verifying accuracy of medical ICD-10 and CPT codes on encounter forms as well as entering new and revised ICD-10 and CPT codes in the EMR.
- Invoices charges on patient visit encounters within the EMR Billing Workplace, and responds to questions regarding patient accounts.
- Creates group appointments and bursar charges for special events such as flu clinics or sports physicals, etc.
- Assist with WI Medicaid Family Planning Only Services (FPOS) including student application process, billing and reimbursement. Submits and verifies the accuracy of these claims.
- Counts cash and reconciles cash/checks and Titan Card dollar with EMR reports. Processes daily payments as needed, corrects billing and coding errors. Completes applicable deposit forms and deposit as needed.
- Verifies accuracy of Bursar reports from the UWO Student Financials Department and the EMR Bursar report.
- Miscellaneous Duties (5%)
- Perform other clerical duties as requested.
- Reports adverse incidents.
- Serves on Student Health Center Committees as assigned.
- Supports the Division of Student Affairs Strategic Priorities, mission of the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, and Student Health departmental core competencies.
- Actively engages and participates in student programming, campus events and inclusive excellence goals.
- Attends meetings, in-services, job related seminars, and other continuing education classes.
- Willingness to represent Student Health at campus sponsored events during regularly scheduled hours, which may include brief presentations and/or public speaking.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least one year of recent employment in a clinic setting.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, internet, electronic mail, and EMR software.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, administrative rules and regulations concerning the confidentiality of health care information, and medical ethics.
- Demonstrate commitment to diversity and social justice.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills as well as verbal and written communications abilities with careful attention to detail and accuracy.
- Current CPR certification or the ability to obtain within 1 month of hire.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- At least three years recent employment in a clinic setting.
- Knowledge of a complex, interactive information system such as PeopleSoft Student Information system.
- Experience with coding, billing, financial account reconciliation and insurance processes.
Applicants must submit the following documents using the online application:
Three Professional References (Name, Title, Organization/Institution, Email Address, and Phone Number for each)
UWO is committed to building a culturally diverse employee workforce and strongly encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
For questions regarding your application and additional options to apply, contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 920-424-1166.
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION: Applications received by May 22, 2019 are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. Application materials will be evaluated and the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process. Incomplete and/or late application materials may not receive consideration.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact the Office of Human Resources.