40% Administrative-Related Functions
1. Greet the public.
a. Act as a resource person in answering inquiries or referring to the appropriate person/department.
a. Answer phone and transmit accurate and complete messages.
b. Monitor messaging system and return calls.
a. Pick up mail daily.
b. Notify the director, scholars or mentors if they have received mail.
c. Prepare outgoing mail for campus Postal Services collection.
4. Special and general projects.
a. Provide arrangements for seminars, workshops, including room reservations and food service coordination, etc.
b. Schedule appointments to visit area graduate schools, including arranging coach, travel, accommodations, and registrations for the Scholars, and Director.
c. Travel with Scholars and Director to graduate school sites if needed.
d. Assist in making special travel arrangements (to conferences and graduate schools) for the Director and McNair Scholars.
a. Monitor McNair e-mail
b. Relate general McNair Program information and answer common questions.
c. Correspond with scholars and mentors concerning deadlines, stipends and orders for materials.
6. Photocopying and scanning
a. Make occasional copies.
b. Order copies and prepare packets for the Mentor and Student Handbooks.
c. Scan important documents and save to S drive.
a. Maintain an orderly filing system, both paper and digital.
b. Save all documents to the S-drive.
c. Keep paper files on all Scholars in a locked cabinet.
a. Maintain an updated calendar for Scholars and Mentors in Canvas.
9. Database of former scholars
a. Track the Program's success by assisting in maintaining a database of former McNair graduates.
1. Understand how to properly allocate charges to the three different McNair accounts.
a. This requires an understanding of the limitations set forth within the federally funded McNair grant.
2. Maintains the internal expense report in Excel and monitors WISDM.
3. Use the TravelWIse Portal to plan and book trips for McNair Scholars in accordance to UW System guidelines
4. Use the Program’s Purchasing Card and Corporate Card in accordance with policies set forth by Administrative Services.
5. Prepare and complete all budget-related requests, including but not limited to
a. Direct Payment Requests (DPR)
b. Individual Payment Requests (PIR) for Scholars’ stipends
c. Transaction Transfer Request (TTR)
d. Meal Requisition
6. Place orders for mentors and mentees, being sure to stay within the budgeted vending funds and ordering items through approved vendors.
7. Requisition office supplies and equipment and follow up to ensure that supplies and services are received and processed for payment. Collaborate with Central Stores and off-campus vendors
15% Recruiting McNair Scholars
1. Assist in recruiting McNair scholars.
a. Make classroom visits to promote McNair and undergraduate research.
b. E-mail with potential scholars.
c. Meet one-on-one with potential scholars to screen for eligibility, interest, and commitment.
5% Marketing-related functions
1. Maintain the McNair website (Word Press), Facebook and LinkedIn accounts.
2. Format and order the Program’s newsletter.
3. Use University student data to assist in identifying potential McNair Scholars.
4. Assist in designing and setting up the Program’s glass display case.
5. Take part in the planning of promotional events.